Legalization / attestation of documents

Legalization / attestation of documents

Official documents produced in India usually are not valid in other countries until they have been authenticated by Government of India and legalized by the consulate of the desired country. The full authentication and legalization process can involve several different government agencies. Hamdam Travel Consultant provides authentication services to both Indian citizens and foreign nationals on all documents that will be used overseas.


The following documents are legalized (as per country requirement):

  • Educational Certificates
  • Birth / Marriage Certificate
  • Company’s Commercial Documents
  • Police Clearance Certificate (PCC)


The complexity of the legalization process depends on the country in which each document must be used. The following information must be obtained before we can begin the authentication process for you.

  • Signed before a Notary Public.
  • Certified by the Notary Public.
  • All Seals and Signatures must be original.
  • All documents in non-English text must be accompanied by a notarized English translation.


We will have the document authenticated by the Ministry of External Affairs and by the Embassy of the Country where the document will be utilized. The normal processing time for authentication is two-four weeks, however, rush processing is available.



As per the Emigration Act, 1983, Emigration Check Required (ECR) categories of Indian passport holders, are required to obtain "Emigration Clearance" from the office of Protector of Emigrants (POE), Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs, for going to following 18 countries:
United Arab Emirates (UAE), The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA), Qatar, Oman, Kuwait, Bahrain, Malaysia, Libya, Jordan, Yemen, Sudan, Brunei, Afghanistan, Indonesia, Syria, Lebanon, Thailand and Iraq (emigration banned).

However, the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs (Emigration Policy Division) have allowed ECR passport holders traveling abroad for purposes others than employment to leave the country on production of valid passport, valid visa and return ticket at the immigration counters at international airports in India from 1st October 2007.

Nowadays, Regional Passport Offices are issuing Indian passports either with endorsement of “Emigration Check Required” or no endorsement of “Emigration Check Required” in the passport. POE clearance is required only when there is “Emigration Check Required” endorsement in the passport.

If you require ECNR clearance, we will be glad to help you. Just contact us.


All foreigners including those of Indian origin visiting India on long term (more than 180 days) on Student visa, Research Visa (R), Employment Visa (E) and Missionary Visa (M), Medical Visa (M) or Medical Attendant (MX) Visa are required to get themselves registered with the Registration Officer within 14 days of his/her first arrival, irrespective of the duration of their stay. In case a foreigner intends to stay for more than 180 days on a single visit he should get himself registered well before the expiry of 180 days.

If you are a foreign national and need to stay for 180 days or more, please contact us.